Monday, July 20, 2009

Summer in the City

Oh, we have been busy and still keeping busy as of late, totally enjoying the freedom of summer without any set schedules. The days stretching and blurring into the next as we while away the hours, as well as take refuge from the heat. Lucky us, we don't have to go far! We live in one of the nicest community and we couldn't be any happier here. We are just a few houses down from the lake. Hubby goes for a swim alone early on weekend mornings, but the rest of us tag along later in the afternoon or at night when it's much cooler and less crowded.
We also have a water park adjacent to the pool right behind the cabanas which is perfect for the little ones not quite ready to brave the pool. My little guy's been learning more & more how to swim though with the aid of his floaties and of course with daddy nearby.
We're still getting familiar with our new city (San Diego) and since we are "beach people" it was only a matter of time till we've gone to check out all of them. The first place was Pacific Beach, us walking on the pier past the beach cottages and at the end, we found a man who caught a rather large, scary looking stingray! Let's just say that we did not go near it for fear of another trip to the hospital -- long story involving Joey while surfing & stepping on one ticked off stingray. Yikes!

We hung out for a while, walked the boardwalk, had some ice cream treats too. Ocean Beach is closeby and we drove there too, but preferred PB instead. We also drove through Imperial Beach on another weekend right after we spent a few hours at Coronado. And ohh, is this place gorgeous!! I took a lot of photos that I want to have enlarged and framed, and of course, scrap a few as well. We tour the grounds and spent the entire afternoon until well after sunset facing the beach with this view behind us. So grand!
If you're familiar with the place, her claim to fame was from that Marilyn Monroe movie called, "Some Like it Hot" and it is even rumored to be haunted. Well, seeing how it was built in the 1800s, I'll take their word for it. ;) You can read up on the Hotel del Coronado's history from their website. I can't wait to go back again, maybe even join in on ice skating on the beach! It's true, they have an actual ice skating rink outside when the place is all decked out for the holidays. This being Southern California, it should be interesting to see, lol.

Speaking of another interesting place, we hightailed it to Lake Havasu, Nevada/Arizona -- the other side of the river (and Laughlin, NV on the way back) to visit & see the London Bridge. We haven't been back there since the kids were very little, so we took them again. We ended up swimming at the Pirate's Cove and spent an entire afternoon playing in the Colorado River. We found a nice secluded area for us by the campgrounds which turned out to be so much fun!
Then, last weekend, we headed down to Solana Beach so Joey could get some surf time and the kids can body board while I, naturally, take photos and keep an eye on the little one. I got my digicam ready, batteries all charged up with one to spare and I brought along 4 different lenses just so I could play with some shots. When we got there, it dawned on me... that I was formatting both memory cards that morning, but didn't remember to put them back in the camera bag, so there I was ready to take photos of such beautiful views of the ocean, the steep sloping cliffs, the surfers, my family and... and I blew it, ack! After a few pouts from me, I improvised with a camera phone & the FlipVideo (I know, unlike a dSLR, but oh well), I actually ended up having a total blast being crazy with the kids and a hideous pile of seaweed, of all things! LOL

Whoa, this is turning out to be quite an epic of a post. I better wrap this up with... a photo of cherries? :P I'm addicted to these and can't.stop.eating.them! Yum!!And, thanks to dh for these wonderful flowers... he said "just because!" :)
So, today, we are chillaxin' at home... playing Legos,
reading books from the library,

and I'll finally get around to scanning or taking photos of quite a few layouts that I put together before. It is gonna be another toasty day, phew. I hope you stay nice and cool!
(photo from the lake on the 4th of july)

0 comments: